You Don't have to go far for interesting sound in #64 7-1




Sound is a major part of my life. Not only do I live in a busy part of Manhattan, I also live with four other women and two animals. I feel that if my plants could include themselves in the noise, they would. In an earlier post, I experimented with living without my headphones. If you read the post, it didn't go well. I do also wear my headphones in the house, but mostly I play my music on my TV or computer.

I really didn't have to go far for interesting sounds. My apartment is full of it. For this project, I went to each room and recorded the sounds that were going on in there. You could really hear it from everywhere. I mixed up the sounds and made some sounds louder in other places than others.

I have realized that I love mixing and making sound art and music. My father would create playlists and mixes for dances during my childhood. I learned a lot from him about music. We (my sister and I) also had to learn two instruments also. It will be interesting creating music to include in my art. I also listen to music to work on my art. I know I will be using music in my classroom all the time.

I think music and sounds are important to our community. Also it is important to teach the art of listening. Listening to others and what is happening is a great skill to have. 

Comments

  1. Alycia,
    This is so great! I think that the use of sound in one's everyday life could be constructed into such an amazing lesson. This could possibly be framed as an identity exploration, which could also lead to some wonderful discussions and ideas (like the ones you expressed above) about how sound influences your daily life, and informs/describes part of who you are as a person. There is also a really powerful element of nostalgia and memory that goes along with sound as it relates to identity, which could also be really poignantly explored through a lesson like this. I think that sound as a medium can be both wonderfully personal and also have a sense of anonymity to it, as it is non-visual, which could lend itself really well to the specific sensitivities of middle school or even high school students!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts